Last Updated on August 16, 2022 by Editorial Staff
Work without play makes one dull child. As a parent, you need to keep your child active by engaging them in some sort of play. There’s no better way to achieve that than with some cool toys that will put that smile on your child’s face. Outdoor play is by far more beneficial compared to indoor play.
So the big question remains, what’s the best outdoor toys for toddlers? Well, there are many endless options out there. But as a parent, you always want the best for your child. That’s why we’ve come up with a roundup of the amazing outdoor play equipment to give you an easy time choosing the right one for your kid.
List & Reviews of Kid’s Outdoor Toys
20. Click N Play Beach Sand Toy Set
The colorful design combined with creative shapes and sculptures help improve kid’s imaginative and cognitive skills. The set comprises of a bucket, shovel, watering can, sand wheel, and molds. All pieces are made of BPA-free plastic that’s safe for your kid.
19. Quanquer Water Squirt Guns Water Soaker Blaster
Want to sharpen your child’s shooting skills? This kid’s toy lets you achieve that in a fun and safe way. It’s more of a water gun pistol that gives your child the feel of a firearm without the danger of live bullets.
The pistol shoots pressurized water to a distance of 28-32 feet feet. It holds 600cc water and provides the convenience of easy loading. This water gun soaker is made of lightweight high-quality ABS materials, non-toxic, meet US Toy Quality Standard that makes it easy to handle while remaining safe for use.
18. Funcorn Toys Jungle Cartoon Animal Figures Educational Toys
This set gives your kids more than just a recreational activity to play in the backyard, any indoor or outdoor place, home and school etc. It can give your kids cognitive learning opportunities with fun. This set gives your kids with their friends the feel of visiting the Zoo though to a smaller scale.
The pieces (all colorful animals) in the set are made of natural eco-friendly plastic materials. There are 24 animals figure models such as lion, camel, giraffe, cow, rhinoceros, tiger, zebra etc. This set is recommended for kids who are at least 3 years of age.
17. Fisher-Price Bubble Mower
Apart from giving your lawn that clean look, mowing can also be a form of exercise and fun at the same time. However, kids just can’t handle the weight of lawn mowers. Well, this is a dwarfed, toy option of a lawn mower. As the name implies, this toy mower is designed to blow bubbles on grass and sidewalks.
It generates realistic mower sound to give your kids the impression of actually handling a real mower. The mower has a spinning motor that encourages your child to stand up and walk thereby improving physical fitness. This bubble mower comes in a lightweight construction for effortless pushing.
16. Bonwayer Kids Sports Toys Soccer
Football is one sport that has got a mass appeal. This toy soccer set gives your kids endless fun by accommodating multiple players. Two portable goals provide a competitive sports ideal for both boys and girls.
You get a durable hover soccer ball integrated with LED lights that mood in the game while providing more wonderful plays during the night. This soccer set is powered by batteries. It’s a good recommendation to kids who are 1 to 15 years old. You can choose to play in a big family setting to cultivate your child’s curiosity.
15. Deluxe Happy Toddler Grow To Pro Golf Set
This golf set gives your kids a chance to enjoy the fresh air in the outdoors while sharpening their golf skills. It’s a 15-piece set that provides an interactive gaming experience between kids and their parents. With this set, your kid gets the chance to put up a fierce competition.
The game helps in physical and psychological development. The set is designed with safety as the number one priority so you don’t have to worry a lot when your kids are out there playing. Every piece in the set is made of lightweight plastic that doesn’t put much strain on your kids. This set is a good match for kids who are 3 years and above.
14. Little Tikes T-Ball Kids Baseball Toy Set
One good thing about this baseball set is that it grows with your child. That means no more replacements when your kid reaches a certain age or height. It takes the form of a “T” and provides the convenience of an adjustable height. The adjustable height ensures that it adapts easily to your child’s developing skills.
This set has a space-friendly design that hangs on the wall to free up floor space. It can be used even in small apartments without compromising the available space. This baseball set is a good option for improving batting, motor, and coordination skills. Kids who are 18 months to 6 years are the perfect candidates for this baseball set.
13. Playz Princess Castle Tent Playhouse & Tunnels
This castle tent turns your little girl’s fairytale dreams into a reality. Its purpose is to encourage creative and imaginative play. This playhouse comes in the form of a set that includes a costume, magic wand, headband, and butterfly wings.
The tent is made of a soft, mesh fabric designed to provide improved ventilation. The mesh screen ensures your little girl plays safe inside and keeps out insects. Supported by flexible poles, you get a lightweight yet sturdy playhouse that holds up well to everyday use. This is quite a small tents for kids between the ages of 3 months to 3 years.
12. Fisher-Price Grow-to-Pro Pogo Sticks
This stick lets you Pogo in a manner that’s fun and easy. The fact that it grows with your child brings development into play. The stick helps develop your kid’s balancing skills. An extra-big base comes in handy to accommodate the balancing needs of beginners.
You can convert to a traditional base to double as a balancing stick for pros. The foot pedals and handles come in a non-slip design to provide a sure grip. An internal spring mechanism gives a good level of bounce up to 5 inches high. This is a nice big boost for kids who are 5 to 8 years old.
11. Vokul Big Wheel Mini Kick Scooter
Scooters are the next big thing to balancing bikes. This mini scooter comes in handy to improve balancing, coordination, and steering skills. With an adjustable height, the scooter gives your child a seamless development to a pro scooter.
It adjusts from 95 to 120 cm to accommodate kids who are 2 to 5 years old. The scooter is fitted with PU wheels and has a strong frame that holds up to 75 pounds.
10. Step2 Shootin’ Hoops Junior Basketball Set
Basketball isn’t just a thing for adults. Your kids too can participate in a game of basketball. Well, this junior basketball sets gives your toddler a fun basketball experience. Built with small kids in mind, this basketball set measures 48 inches at maximum height.
The height is adjustable to four different heights to grow with your kids. This set includes a removable score rim, adjustable hoop, and ball. It’s great for both beginners and pros. Kids in the age group of 24 months to 8 years will do great with this basketball set.
9. Fly Bike Foldable Toddler Glide Tricycle
One good thing about this tricycle is that it comes fully assembled so there’s no need to put it together. It has a 3-step folding mechanism designed to provide a space-friendly storage and easy transportation. The bike is steerable and makes a perfect match for toddlers and young children.
8. Step2 Push Around Ride-On Toys
This push-around buggy gives your kid some little bit of motoring experience. The fact that it needs some pushing makes it a perfect option for the child and parent to interact. This buggy is a pink edition ideal for little girls.
It has a comfortable ergonomic seat for added comfort and a seat belt that keeps your little kid from shifting during the ride. Underneath the hood is storage space where you can keep toys and snacks. This buggy is for kids who are 19 months to 3 years old.
7. Merax 36″ Portable Kids Mini Trampoline
Maybe it’s time you let your child burn some little energy and enjoy that fun bouncing experience. This trampoline is built to cater for that. It’s a 36-inch round trampoline built to be spacious and stable. A unique, durable metal spring construction creates a good level of bounce.
The jumping mat is padded in thick foam for added safety. A handrail is included to provide good support for beginners. With a weight capacity of 180 pounds, parents can also join in the fun. This trampoline sits on non-slip feet for increased stability and scratch-free grip.
6. Fisher-Price Batman Lil’ Quad Power Wheels Ride-On Toys
This is a sporty ride that doesn’t require any pushing. This power wheel comes in an ATV styling fitted with large, wide tires for increased stability even on uneven surfaces. This electric vehicle starts with a simple push of a button.
It cruises at a maximum speed of 2 mph, which is quite safe for young kids. The vehicle is powered by a rechargeable battery that goes quite a long way into providing that much needed fun. This power wheel is a good recommendation for kids who are 1 to 3 years old.
5. Step2 Spill & Splash Seaway Water Table for Kids
Want your toddlers to enjoy the view of cascading waterfall without setting a foot outside your home? I bet they’ll like what this water table has to offer. It’s a two-tier water table designed to let your child create a waterfall.
This water table has a spinner for creating a whirlpool and a springboard that catapults water figures. Water squirting figures are also included to add more fun. The upper section holds 2.22 gallons while the lower section holds 3.24 gallons. This water table is for kids who are 18 months to 8 years old.
4. Step2 Seaside Villa Outdoor Playhouse for Kids
The playhouse has a kitchen space furnished with built-in shelves, faucets, kitchen seat, fireplace, and many more. It needs some assembly before use, which is a task best done by an adult. The age category for kids who should use this playhouse is 18 months to 8 years old.
3. Chillafish Charlie Glow, Beige Kids Balance Bike
The fun experience provided by balance bikes make them almost a must-have for toddlers who want to learn how to ride. This balance bike builds confidence in small riders and lets them sharpen balancing and coordination skills.
It’s one of the lightest balance bikes out there weighing a mere 5.5 pounds for easy handling. The handlebars adjust to the need of a growing child. In fact, you should expect your kid to use this bike for a period of at least 3 years. It has an ergonomic seat for comfort and low profile axle bolts that protect against injuries.
2. Little Tikes Jr. Jump Inflatable Slide Bouncer
Sit back and watch as your child jumps, slides, and bounces on this inflatable slide bouncer. It’s more like a fun, bouncy house that has meshed sides for added safety. The bouncer comes in an extra-wide design that fits two kids at a go.
It comes with a blower to keep it inflated at all times. Inflation is much quicker letting your kid enjoy that fun moment in no time. The bouncer is made of puncture-resistant fabric and has a weight capacity of 160 pounds. It’s a good recommendation for kids who are 2 to 8 years old.
1. Backyard Discovery Oakmont Wood Swing Playset
What about giving your kid a place to swing and slide all in one unit? Well, this backyard swing set takes care of that. It has a slide, 2 belt swings, and a trapeze swing. The slide spans 8 feet long. It’s speedy yet super safe to give your kids peace of mind.
This swing set comes with playhouse features to add more fun in the play. There’s even a built-in bench where your kids can sit and relax. This swing set is quite tall so there’s a ladder provided for easy access. It comes in a weather-resistant construction and designed for kids who are 3 to 10 years old.
Buying Guide: Choose the Best Outdoor Toys for Toddlers
What type of toy you choose for your child that can turn out into a fun investment or a total disappointment. Well, you don’t want to let your kids down with a toy they won’t like. To avoid that, you need to take some factors into consideration when out there shopping for that perfect toy. The following are what you need to keep in mind.
Choose age-appropriate toys. You might have selected a good toy that has lots of fun to offer. But this will be a total waste of money in case your child is too young or too old for it. In short, you need a play toy with an age recommendation that’s appropriate for your child. Most manufacturers state the age recommendation to make it easier for you.
Make safety first priority. Well, remember that the safety of your child comes before all things. That’s why you need to select a toy with safety features that will help avoid accidents and injuries. Safety can extend to the type of material used to build a certain play toy. Check carefully to ensure it won’t pose any risks to the health of your child.
Know what your kid likes. Don’t just rush out there to buy a toy without actually knowing what your child likes. I’d recommend studying them closely for a few days to get a clue of what fascinates them most. In case it’s not meant to be a surprise, you can go ahead and ask them what they like most.
Consider durability. You don’t want to buy something that will break after a few days of use. It’s good to choose a toy that’s durable enough to last for years. Some even come with adjustable features to let them grow with your child. One trick of determining the durability of a toy is to check if it has a warranty.
Ease-of-use. Well, you definitely want a toy that won’t give your child a hard time using it. That’s where ease of use comes in handy. Look for something with a little bit of simplicity based on your child’s skills.
Consider interactive toys. You’ll agree with me that a toy that brings family and friends together is one of the best buys around. Choose a toy that will let other kids or you as a parent join in the fun. This will help avoid that feeling of loneliness and help build a stronger bond between the child and parents.
Top 10 Benefits of Outdoor Play for Kids
1. Helps them learn new skills. Outdoor play is not just about fun. It helps your child learn a thing or two through play. With it, your child gets to learn new skills. It actually takes learning out of the classroom so your child gets to know that learning is a process.
2. Improves mental and physical health. One obvious benefit of playing out is that your kids get fresh air and plenty of room to play in. Exposure to some weather elements, such as sunshine helps build stronger bones. The fresh and plenty of room make kids more active when outside. That means they get to burn more calories an get a boost of energy.
3. Builds social skills. By playing outside, your child gets the chance to meet new friends. It gives them the courage to take part in games and activities. Literally put, the outdoor play takes your child out of that lonesome shell to interact with others even without parent supervision.
4. Boosts creativity. With a lot of space to play in an explore, your child’s imagination gets to expand. That makes it easier to tap into their creativity compared to when they’re confined indoors.
5. Helps learn how to be independent. At times, constant supervision turns out to be quite boring and tiresome at the same time. Letting your child play outdoors gives them a chance to stay away from direct adult supervision. By learning to take care of themselves and negotiate unfamiliar objects, your kid gets to learn something about being independent.
6. Promotes good well-being. Freedom of outdoor play has lots of benefits to your child’s well-being. It keeps them happier and calmer. Exposure to sunlight is a good source of vitamin D, something that’s been proven to improve mood and help your child develop a positive attitude.
7. Helps them explore further. There are endless possibilities when it comes to outdoor play. Such possibilities act as a form of encouragement to your kids making them want to push things further. This in turn, builds the confidence of wanting to learn new things.
8. Let’s them see the world in a wider perspective. The large playroom and interaction with other kids let your child see the world from a new perspective. In short, your child gets to know that there’s more to explore than meets the eye.
9. Gives a chance to reconnect with nature. Indoor play denies your child the chance to see and explore what nature has to offer. Outdoor play gives them this much-needed chance that helps your kid familiarize with the outside environment.
10. Helps your kids know their limitations. With lots of challenges out there, your child gets the urge to push things further. In doing so, they learn that something can’t be pushed beyond a certain level. This gives them the chance to come up with something new that will help them go beyond that level.
I hope you’ve learned a thing or two about the best outdoor toys for toddlers and what makes them great fun. Now it comes down to doing the math and decide which one is the best for your child. No matter what toy you choose from the list above, be sure that your kid will derive more fun from it. So what are you waiting for? Visit Amazon and place your order for what might be the next big thing your child was patiently waiting for.